Butter and sugars into the mixing bowl:
Chocolate Chip Bars with a Salty Pretzel Crust
from Laurie McNamara at Simply Scratch
Ingredients: for the cookie dough:
3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperatureIngredients for the crust:
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar (I used medium brown)
2 large Eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons Real Vanilla Extract
2-1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 bag Milk Chocolate Chips
3-1/2 cups Pretzel Sticks, crushed into tiny piecesPreparation:
3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13x2 baking pan with parchment paper -- leave some sticking up over the wide edges of your pan so you can lift the cookies out when they are done and cooled.
- Beat butter and sugars at medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs and the vanilla, beating until just blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk until airy and gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar/egg mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides and add in the chocolate chips, Mix one last time for a second then set aside.
- Combine the crushed pretzel pieces with the melted butter, stir to combine. Spread pretzel mixture over the bottom of your prepared pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the cookie dough and scatter it over the pretzel crust, carefully and evenly spread the batter over the warm pretzels. With your fingers, press the dough into the pretzels. Smooth top with a spatula.
- Place the pan in your preheated oven and bake for 20-24 minutes, rotating the pan half-way through the cookie time.
- Remove when the bars are golden and a tester comes out clean.
- When bars have cooled, remove by carefully lifting the parchment paper and moving to a cutting board. Cut into bars.
These are definitely a hit with my family -- salty, chocolatey and tasty! Give them a try!
This post is linked to the following blog hops -- check them out for many more great recipes!